Monday, October 17, 2005

my mundane weekend

The work computers had been running fine since the last meltdown. I got optimistic and thought that the server had been fixed however I have been shying away from even touching the thing lest it bomb out again. I don't know what I was thinking on Friday but I decided that I should change the administrator username and password - afterall it had been the same for the past two years. B-I-G M-I-S-T-A-K-E.

This weekend we had plans to visit Rebekah's relatives in Ohio. Every October they have a small reunion. Usually they have it close to home; however, this year circumstances neccesitated that we go to Ohio.

I pretty much figured that I would have to stay home this weekend and work. Once again I had to leave the computer overnight while it rebooted. An eight hour process. Saturday morning I went in at 5:00am to check on things - things were working so I got to go to Ohio afterwall.

Ohio was uneventful. There was food. There was Karaoke. And yes I did do a not-so-bad rendition of Neil Diamond and not-so-good version of Britney Spears. The motel we stayed at was probably the classiest two star place I have ever stayed at. It was the only non pay-by-the-hour motel in down so we really had little choice. But the joint looked like those rundown motels in the slasher movies were people get killed.

On Friday I received my 10-volume Ante-Nicene Fathers set. I brought volume 1, the 2nd Century writings with me. It is really interesting how similar these writings by the so-called "Church Fathers" matches our (JW) commonly held beliefs. For starters there is a very clear seperation of the Father and the Son. (It took many battles and political wrangling for the trinity doctrine to become dogma - long after the Nicene counsel.) More surprising IIrenaeus expresses that thought of a "gradation and arrangement of those who are saved" wherein some are raised to Heaven and some are ressurected to live on a restored and perfected Earth. Sound familiar? (Papias, who is said to been friends with the apostles particularly John, expresses this view as well.) So while these writings cannot stand on their own they are very useful, particularly the very early writings, in corroboration with the Bible.

Saturday we drove home stopping to visit a friend in Bloomington, Indiana. He took us out for some great Thai food and we got to walk around the square a little bit. I like those little college towns!

No comments: