Thursday, April 12, 2007

Open Letter to the Wood River Congregation - 2007

April 9, 2007

As I sit down to write this I know it very well could be an exercise in wasted envelopes and stamps; but I’m moved to keep in touch. Without any exaggeration I can say that I dream about the Wood River congregation often, at least once a week, but sometimes as often as every other day. As much as I would like to move on and put the past behind I get the sense that my Heavenly Father doesn’t want me to forget. So if I could trouble you once a year I hope you can tolerate me.

Since I’m physically disconnected from you I don’t have knowledge of all of your current pains and trials. However, I know that a lack of good shepherds continues to wear you down. I was incredibly sad to hear about your loss in the passing of Bob Biggerstaff. He was a fine man and even though his age kept him down in these last few years he continued to be a good, positive influence on the congregation. Even in his old age he was very vibrant. I look forward to seeing him soon in the New Earth. I can just close my eyes and picture his large orchard and perhaps a whole, herd of beautiful, wild horses.

Equally I was very sad to hear that Rich Bailey is no longer an elder at the Wood River congregation. Despite our differences I can say that Rich is above all a man of integrity and I know that he really cares for the afflicted. I remember when Rich was first coming to our Kingdom Hall and certain ones, even among the elder and servant body, were callously bad mouthing him before he ever set foot in the door. Regrettably, I was quite ready to loathe him myself based on what was being said. However, in the end I had to apologize to him for thinking such thoughts. He was an asset to the congregation, truly.

If I could get you to reflect just a moment on those elders that in recent years you have lost – Mark Solle, Jim Donahue, Phil Honnen, Rich Bailey – a sad pattern emerges. I remember the reaction to when Mark Solle left our hall and how sad it made us all feel. I know that some of you were quite ready to quit coming to meetings or perhaps change Kingdom Halls. We encouraged you stay and were happy that you stuck it out; because, you would have been missed. I know it’s hard. I also know that some of you are still suffering under the current elder body. I know your hurt.

To that end I feel that the 23rd chapter of Jeremiah is a source of great comfort because it deals with this very situation you face. I would like to consider it briefly. It begins with these strong words:

“Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasturage!” is the utterance of Jehovah.

If we could stop and reflect very carefully on the message that Jehovah is giving here. I ask, who are Jehovah’s sheep? If you believe that they are Jehovah’s Witnesses then we have to understand when the prophet speaks about the “sheep of [Jehovah’s] pasturage” he is talking about the Christian congregation, the brothers and sisters. If that is true, then who are the shepherds that he is speaking about? Would it not be abusive shepherds within the congregation? The prophet continues:

Therefore this is what Jehovah the God of Israel has said against the shepherds who are shepherding my people: “YOU yourselves have scattered my sheep; and YOU kept dispersing them, and YOU have not turned your attention to them.”
“Here I am turning my attention upon YOU for the badness of YOUR dealings,” is the utterance of Jehovah.


Brothers and Sisters if you have suffered from the hand of those that were put in place to shepherd you take heart. Jehovah has heard your cries and he knows your pain! The neglect and abuse from your shepherds has not gone unnoticed by Heaven. He will deal with them in time but more importantly he will soothe your pain.

“And I myself shall collect together the remnant of my sheep out of all the lands to which I had dispersed them, and I will bring them back to their pasture ground, and they will certainly be fruitful and become many. And I will raise up over them shepherds who will actually shepherd them; and they will be afraid no more, neither will they be struck with any terror, and none will be missing,” is the utterance of Jehovah.

Sadly some today are scattered. Perhaps they have been beaten down to the point where they no longer attend meetings. Some float from congregation to congregation aching to find someone to care for them. Others like myself may have been forcibly removed from the congregation unjustly. If this is true for you, please understand, these shepherds may have given up on you but you are not lost. Jehovah gives his promise that he will collect all his scattered sheep and provide them with new shepherds. These will be different and they will take care of you gently and compassionately. More importantly Jehovah will give you his own son as a shepherd as the prophet continues:

“Look! There are days coming,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “and I will raise up to David a righteous sprout. And a king will certainly reign and act with discretion and execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel itself will reside in security. And this is his name with which he will be called, Jehovah Is Our Righteousness.”

Jesus is that sprout from David. Jesus said of himself, “I am the fine shepherd, and I know my sheep and my sheep know me, … I surrender my soul in behalf of the sheep.” (John 10:14,15) Just a few days ago you reflected on that great sacrifice that Jesus made on behalf of his sheep. When he was alive on earth Jesus expressed that he was “sent for to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matthew 15:24) His concern was for those little sheep that were kicked around and neglected by the shepherds of his day. When he looked at the people, what did he see? The Bible answers, “On seeing the crowds he felt pity for them, because they were skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd.” (Matthew 9:36) I ask you, now that Jesus is ruling in heaven do you think he cares any less for those that are skinned and thrown about within his modern-day sheep fold? Do you think he cannot see your pain and that he doesn’t care about your plight? Nonsense! He gave his life for you and he loves you and wants to care for you. It was for this purpose he came into this world and it is for this purpose he reigns as king. To you he gives the following invitation:

"Come to me, all YOU who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh YOU. Take my yoke upon YOU and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and YOU will find refreshment for YOUR souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30

I have found that refreshment and it is beautiful! It has been one year since my disfellowshipping and I am happy to report that we are doing very well and continue to offer up prayer on your behalf. I do look forward to the time when we can be together again; in the meantime my Father continues to bless us daily through his Son Jesus. The wilderness is never fun but it is not a bad place to be. It seems to be a popular place for God’s servants to be tested and refined for a period. Out here I have experienced His faithfulness and his love. I have also seen his power, miraculous signs and wonders. I’ve had to leave much behind for the sake of following Jesus; but I’ve received so much more than I could ever dream. I have everything in Him and I want for nothing – only to know him more and more.

I give you his love. I love you very much and so does He. Our love for you is unconditional; you don’t have to love me back. Even if you hate me I still love you. Just as he laid down his life on behalf of us, I gladly do the same. I pray that you would know his love. I pray that you would have his peace. I pray that at his hand you would find satisfaction and joy. I pray that in his arms you would find comfort and security. I pray that you would hear his voice in your life and it will quiet your fear. I pray that you would know him more and more. He is the true shepherd and overseer of our souls. (1 Peter 2:25)

No comments: