Monday, July 24, 2006

Infestation

Yuck!

Our house is plagued with tiny flies.

They started appearing about a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't figure out where they were coming from. It was very sickening because we could only guess that Mina had left some piece of food somewhere in the house that was breeding flies.

Blech!

However we never could trace the origin of the little insects. We did notice that they were generally appearing in the bathroom which was strange because there was absolutely no source of food . . . or so we thought.

I kept figuring they would go away but since they looked like they had gone from being house guests to permanent residents I checked the Internet to try to figure out the problem.

I think they are drain flies that breed in plumbing; laying eggs in the film that collects inside of bathroom and kitchen pipes. We also been suffering from slow drains so that lead me to believe that we had some gunky organic something or other in our pipes that they were feeding off of.

Gross!

On Sunday I did what I could to clear the pipes with an auger which is always a digusting task. After that we boiled pots of of water and poured them down all the drains in an effort to kill the eggs and larva. I need to go to the store still and buy some foaming drain cleaner to try to clean out the food source. This may be a "rinse and repeat" type of affair so I may have to try again if the situation does not clear up.

I hope you weren't eating while reading this.

No comments: