Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I've Got An Idea

I've been in the spirit for two days now and it just feels good to be firing on all four? six? howabout seven cylinders. I'm just glad to be feeling positive.

Over the weekend I spent some time working on an article for a friend's newsletter. I chose the topic of giving to the poor and was just absolutely floored about how much I have missed the point of many, many scriptures. I wish I could share them right now but all things in time. But needless to say I was absolutely mortified by my personal failures.

And really what rotten people Rebekah and I are. We talk about simplifying our lives by going from 60 television channels to 40. Don't get me wrong . . . it's a start but how very sad.

So really I was looking at ways to help out and really I'm so detached with the world around me that I had no idea where to start.

But I needed to start somewhere - even if it isn't the best thing I chose to sponsor a kid from Compassion International. Now I'm not looking for praise like I did anything extraordinary. It is only $32.00 a month and compared to the amount we spend each month on eating out or television or Internet it really is pathetic and so much less then what Jesus is asking:

“If you want to be perfect, go sell your belongings and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower.” - Matthew 19:21

So I sponsored a girl from Guatemala named Marisol. (Rebekah and I had written a song about a little mexican girl named Marisol so that is why I selected her.) It's nothing big - nothing that will save the world - but it is just a start because I couldn't live with myself one more day without doing something somewhat righteous with my money even if it is a drop in the bucket.

When I speak of "starts" there is something starting in my mind - a little germ of an idea that has just put a perpetual grin on my face. I'm going to be praying about it and see if it can get legs - that is if my Fathers blessing is behind it. It's simple and a little silly, maybe even foolish - crazy - insane - ridiculous - but since my God called the foolish things of the world he will just have to deal with nutters like me and our feeble attempts to promote His Kingdom.

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." - 1 Cor 1:27

Oh boy . . . I'm excited.

Your pal,

Anthony

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

My dear husband. Don't mean to sound petty, but....We are going down from 185 channels to 40 channels. Still, though, it is a pretty pathetic attempt at simplifying and helping the needy.

Anthony said...

We really have 185 channels? How come I only watch the 1? Love.