Sunday, February 08, 2004

right, write

I just spend the good portion of the day and night and the preceeding day reading a novel (Middlesex if you care) I picked up at Borders to ease boredom of the long drive home.

As I read I feel the desire to write. Sometime when I read I get inspired to try to write as well as the novel in hand. More often than not I want to write because I believe I can write better than what sits open on my lap.

I'm sure I say that with ridiculous conceipt. I'm forced to think of those tuneless bodies who audition for American Idol because they feel in their heart of hearts that they are better than Clay and Reuban and Justin and Kelley. They are sincere but deluded.

So perhaps I am deluded. But does it matter if what I'm doing makes me feel good? Does it matter if I write a story I want to read.

What do I want to read about? I want to read about circus freaks, narwhals, the Great Plague of London, insane asylums, great sea squids, anorectics, and prisons. That's what I'm going to write about.

No comments: