Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Early Graduation

This article relating to early graduation on CNN sparked my interest because I graduated shortly after my junior year. It wasn't nearly as easy for me as the school in question is making it. I think during my Freshman year I got to looking at the school rule book and started working the credit graduation requirements and deduced that if I played my cards right I could get out after my Junior year. I didn't love school and couldn't wait to get out.

I ended up taking these brutal 7:00am advanced science classes for extra credits and barely awake, barely skated by with D's and low C's. I skipped the basket weaving classes in favor of the core requirements, reading, riting, rithmatic. By the end of my Junior year I had numerically met the credit requirements but I had to pick up a summer school government class to meet the academic requirements.

Afterward I entertained the idea of going ahead and doing my Senior year. The way I looked at it I could only go to school one day a week and still graduate after having met the requirements or I could just go to school for fun and fail all the classes or do an entire curriculum of home economics. But in the end I just decided to write a letter to the School Administrator asking for permission to graduate early. I was perceived as bit of a rebel at the time due to my publication of a pissy little journalism rag so I think they were probably glad to give me the stamp of approval that sent me on my way.

At the ripe old age of 16 I graduated out of public high school.

No comments: