Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Food Woes

When I get my first paycheck of the month we usually set aside $400.00 to cover our food and gas expenses for the next four weeks. The goal is $100.00 a week which we usually end up fudging the first three weeks leaving us stretched thin on the fourth week.

So on the fourth week it's time to get creative. Time for oodles of ramen noodles. Time for government cheese.

Time for deep discounts. We picked up three of these incredibly discounted Red Baron pizzas at the grocery store. Mind you, incredible discount does not equal incredible taste. I think they were practically giving them away to see if there was an interest in obscure flavours such as tomato and bacon, ham and pineapple, three cheese and garlic.

Time to scour the cupboards and pantry and pull out the unlabeled tins hiding in the back. I had some black beans and tortillas hanging around so I decided to make some burritos. Chicken, chorizo, and red pepper. Black beans, jalapeno, and onion. Roasted salsa. Here is the part where my tear ducts get tortured. First by the onions. Then by the roasted jalapeno peppers. Then by a habenero. And finally by chorizo. And here is the rub. Literally. Scrub all you want and the accumulated oils of it all will not come off your hands. So throughout the rest of the night and on into the morning everytime I rub my eyes I'm lit up all over again.

We've just got to make it to Friday...

No comments: