Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Food Addiction

From time to time I find myself addicted to certain foods. Right now I'm addicted to these Pilsbury chocolate-chip cookies. I almost hate to buy them because I cannot control my eating of them. However, I gave in last week because they were on sale and I couldn't resist. Saturday my dinner consisted exclusively of milk and cookie while I watched "The Two Towers" on pay-per-view.

Rebekah's addiction is the chili 3-way from Steak 'n Shake. When we go out to eat and I ask her where she wants to dine; she always wants Steak 'n Shake. To which I always make the same lame double entendre "I believe I'm in the mood for a 3-way too." She tried to make this fabulous item at home using the canned (yuck) Steak 'n Shake chili that they sell at the supermarket. It didn't quite work. Her sister made this awesome chili at the family reunion which was a real close match. So I suggested she attempt it again last night using that recipe. It was about a 95% match! I think if she just used less cumin and we ground up our own steak it would be dead-on.

--

This is not really related to the topic. Rebekah and I started working on what I thought was the next 6a2 song. However, it is way too mellow and breazy to fit in on second thought. ATMOS 206, our last song, barely fit the 6a2 style. And then we have other songs which won't work as 6a2 songs as well. So I suggested we record them and set them aside for something else. We'll probably just use a temp drum track to keep beat and then sub in my sister on drums when she has the chance to come down and record (you are reading this aren't you?). This project really needs to be guitar, bass, and drums with slight embellishments of other instruments here and there. The plan (right now) is to have a theme EP (or record depending on our productivity.) I'm stingy with the details because I always fear they'll get swiped up.

--

This isn't on topic either. I'm about ready to lay my novel aside for two months as per a suggestion by Stephen King. I don't really see him as any ideal to reach toward however this one bit of advice made sense. After you are done with writing put the book away for a while and then look at it later with fresh eyes when you are going to start the edit. So in the meantime I'm gearing up for my 3rd screenplay, working title is "Mental Note". When I set out to write a script I usually try to write it so that if I had the time and means later I could film it. Well this story involves a girl with down syndrome and two spider monkeys so it's immediately out of the realm of possibility for a future production. The genre is dark comedy along the lines of Solondz "Welcome to the Dollhouse." I'm hoping it will be a fun write. The novel has been such a long, dreary chore that I need something refreshing.

No comments: