Sunday, May 02, 2004

50 Foot Wave

What a jam-packed Saturday.

Since it was the first Saturday of the month we met at the Kingdom Hall for service arrangements instead of at individual book study groups. This usually provides a good opportunity to skip out and take the day off; but, I had a personal invitation from a guy to work with him so . . . I did ---> afterall it's new and improved Anthony.

After Service I had my running commitment that was totally trying to duck out of. I told the brother, "Isn't it too cold to go running?". He responded, "Oh no, 45 is the perfect running temperature." I looked out the window and asked, "What about the rain?" He smiled, "We'll wear hats." And so . . . I did ---> afterall it's the new improved Anthony

Of course I should enjoy running after I actually got out and did it. When I've ran in the past it has been around a track, alone. Running through the trails around the college and with company added a lot. Jim was cracking me up because he is the kind of guy that throws himself at everything he does, headfirst without regard for damage, be it talks, or running. He kept coaching me and analysing my form and questioning my shoe choice. Speaking of form, I've got to throw this in. He runs like a muppet. Grover, to be exact. "Neeeearrrrr - faaaaar". Yes, I'll do it again.

Afterward we headed out to Champagne, Illinois to catch 50 Foot Wave playing at the High Dive. It was a three-hour drive but probably the shortest distance we've ever driven to see Kristin Hersh play. Well it was supposed to be a three-hour drive but I took a wrong turn and ended up cruisin' toward Chicago or something. Once we figured it out we had to cut across farm-land and stray from the insterstate but we made it. (I think this may have turned out to be shortcut - if you figure in the speeding. I wish I had my rally car.)

First off the Highdive is absolutely incredible. It was a little more hip than the clubs I'm used to. Most of the clubs that I know of are seedy at best. Immediately we met Marie and Amanda from Decatur. Marie was bubbly and Amanda earthy but both were decent people to sit with and wait for a show. Amanda plays the marimba which I found totally fascinating. It was easy to make friends with them, possibably to a fault. Marie kindly asked us whether or not we would be interested in going outside to smoke some pot. Ha. "We're Jehovah's Witnesses we don't do that you know, but thanks." Yes we did get a little informal Witnessing time.

I also saw this guy that bore an uncanny resemblance to Jason Lee. Particularly Banky from Chasing Amy. I had to ask him if he was aware of it and yes he was. He thanked me for noticing. His name was Chris and he was neighbors or something to guy who runs parasol records.

The club was bare ---> pathetically bare when 50 Foot Wave took the stage. It was just me and Jon Lovitz (picture)and Rebekah up front. (You'd be amazed at how my love for people has grown when you see talking with my old archnemesis Jon Lovitz.)

50 Foot Wave was intense and loud. Kristin seems to be funnelling all of her aggression through her guitar instead of her voice, which I feel is dissapointing. In the past how she was singing and what she was singing was more important that what she was playing. Their song "Clara Bow" was the highlight for me, namely because it was the closest to Throwing Muses material.

No comments: