Monday, November 10, 2003

. . .

Well it happened. Mind you it's not officially sanctioned condemnation but it did get a barb tossed at it in the public talk Sunday. I'll quote to the best of my memory.

"But what does the world want you to be? The world wants you to be Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"

--

I'm trying to write a children's book for my sister and recognising my limitations. It's hard. I've got something but it just isn't that great and I'm too picky about my writing to just let loose something substandard--as opposed to my music making. (With that I'll just assault your ears with any old two-bit off-tune ditty.)

So I'm no Madonna. That is to say I'm a substandard musician but I can't cross over and write a decent kid's book. I went to Border's Friday to take a look at Jeanette Winterson's The King of Capri. I was hoping I could get some pointers and if all else fails downright plagerise.

They didn't have the book so I spent time reading excerts from Michael Moore's new one while Rebekah and Mina looked around. I really should avoid Mr. Moore as he is bad for my political neutrality. He also tends to stir my expat wanderlust. But thirdly after I am done having a knee-jerk reaction to the text I really start longing for God's Kingdom more. So maybe it is a good thing to read political critisism?

While out we picked up Belle and Sebastian's new CD. I was hoping to buy a copy at the show for cheap but they didn't have any. Border's was asking $18.99 (ouch) so we got a copy at Best Buy for $15.99 (ouch). It is a really great album with only a few dodgy songs.

--

So I'm feeling a renewed sense of spirituality. Like many people my spirituality tends to resemble the stock market. I'll be strong for a certain period of time and then I'll bottom out. I really lack endurance. But I feel something so I'm going to try to capture the moment and build on it and see what happens. It feels good to be a bull again.

--

The study Sunday was talking about how persecution can just rear up inexplicably at a moments notice. How true. I was reading about a fancy French restaraunt in California(?) that was burnt to the ground after the Chirac opposed the Iraq war. It is so easy for politics (and especially neutrality) to cause people to act irrationally. One minute everything is fine and the next you are standing in the ashes of a burnt down building and wondering what happened.

No comments: