Monday, November 03, 2003

Television

This weekend went by super fast and nothing really of note happened. We have a lot of money tied up in seeing bands over the next few weeks so we didn't have any cash to go do anything. It was pretty much just time to loaf around the house and watch TV.

I caught the season opener for The Simpsons, my favorite TV show. As for the episode, there's been better, there's been worse. I'm glad to see this series keeps going on.

I watched Saturday Night Live for the first time in a while. I think this season might be one of those really bad seasons that almost gets the show cancelled. As much as the show wants to tout itself as having "not ready for primetime players" it really works on the star principle and all the stars have left. As a sidenote, Maya Rudolf is cute. I think I saw her live in concert when she was with the Rentals but I'm not quite certain.

I checked out "Viva La Bam" a spinoff of "Jackass". It is has a lot of heart. Primarily it's about a kid, Bam Margera, driving his parents, Phil and April, crazy. However there is this subtext of love between the family that is endearing.

I got caught up in this show on the Discovery channel that was supposed to be a historical analysis of Mary, the mother of Jesus. I don't know why I bother to watch these programs when they just irritate me. They start from the standpoint that the Bible's account it just this big inflated fairy tale and then do whatever they can to present a completely opposite patched together guesswork account of their own. They kept sighting these supposed contradictions in the Bible where there were none. It was only accounts where the Bible contradicts the well known Christmas tale and where it contradicts the Catholic apocryphal version of Mary. The one point that it did make which might be valid is that Mary may have been young when she married Joseph as was the custom. The show guessed that she was twelve years old; however, I think twelve is really a stretch for child-bearing age even today when puberty begins much sooner. Sixteen or so may have been feasible.

No comments: