Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Appliances

Rebekah and I stopped at a couple of places to browse kitchen appliances. Our mismatched refrigerator (with broken handle barely hanging on) and stove (with only two out of five knobs present) may be departing for... well wherever old used appliances end up.

The problem with appliances in the United States is that there is just not that much variety. You have two basic colors: white and black. (Steel can be chucked in for a couple hundred dollars more.) I contrast this with the UK where a refrigerator buyer can choose from any number of colors to match any conceivable color scheme.

The style also suffers. Smeg in the UK has really sweet looking units, both contemporary models and 50's throwbacks. However, the nearest North American supplier is Ontario Canada. Needless to say the shipping costs would be astronomical.

Rebekah prods me to just get a "normal" refrigerator and stove. The problem is that if I don't want to drop that kind of money on something I'm not really in love with. I want to smile everytime I walk through the kitchen door. I want to cherish each time I fire up a burner.

Perhaps, the old stove and Frigidaire aren't quite ready to be put to pasture?

No comments: