Monday, December 08, 2003

Force Feed

There is guy in another congregation who has turned his basement into a guy's playroom. Big screen TV for the football games, pool and poker tables, and a refrigerator full of beer. When a new guy comes over the joke is to get him to try this beer called Alpha King. Since it is really heavy on the hops it'll work over the typical Bud Light drinker who despises aftertaste and craves smoothness. So one time I went over there and it was my turn to be iniated and handed a bottle of Alpha King. I drank it and was fine with it and enjoyed the grapefruit notes and creamy mouthfeel.

So I was sitting here and finding it odd that I can drink beer that will turn a normal person green but I struggle with diet soda. I really need to develop a taste for diet soda. Half my calorie intake each day is soda. I drop the soda, I drop the weight. It would seem simple but I just can't. It seems odd to cry addiction about soda but I can't think about any food or drink that I need, NEED everyday.

I used to despise pickles. Then I gradually started leaving them on my burgers instead of picking them off. Now I'm slowly starting to get in the habit to eat them out of the jar. (I'm retching at I type this.) But they are 0 calories a pop so I need to like them. So I choke them down and wait for the day where I start to love them.

I used to loathe coffee. But now I down a half-a-pot a day as soda substitute while at work. I'm getting more caffeine (My right eye is twitching as I write ths.) but hardly any of the calories.

People think there is a big magic bullet to losing weight. Adkins. South Beach. It's all a load of crap. The trick (if you can even call it that) to losing weight can be distilled down to "eat less, excercise more". And if health is your concern as well as being trim you can add, "eat right." It's so simple, yet so hard sometimes.

It really requires a psyche out. That's why anorectics succeed where so many others fail. They totally work over their minds where what is hard becomes a way of life. If you can brainwash yourself like that then you'll have little problem losing the weight. But then you are kind of stuck in that mode for the rest of your life. Once you lose the weight it isn't about staying at a healthy weight you've gotta keep cutting and trimming and slicing.

I just want to fit into the shirts at Express and have a thinner face. That's all.

I was also thinking about eating meat and how it is contrary to nature. God didn't originally give humans animals to eat. He gave them fruits and nuts. And even when they sinned he didn't give them animals. He told them to eat the vegetation of the field. But somewhere between the time of Adam and the day of Noah humans started eating flesh. Note this is the time that humans started getting really wicked. Some unsupported sources speculate that the Nephilim started the whole meat eating thing and even began eating humans.

But didn't God give Noah animals to eat after the flood? Yes. But perhaps this is something he tolerates instead of something he enjoys. Kind of like he used to allow such things as polygamy which now he condemns.

It's really nothing to be overly concerned about but just something I was considering. I'm not ready to jump on the vegan boat just yet.

No comments: