Wednesday, August 20, 2003

First Day of School





I took an extended lunch break today to go with Rebekah for Mina's first day at school. It was basically an hour for her to find her classroom, meet the teacher, and for the teacher to lay down the law. So we went over how hitting and firearms are not tolerated, how snack day works, and the method the teacher will be using to help them learn the alphabet (I guess the ABC song set to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star is ineffective in this age of the Internet). If there was a soundtrack for the morning it would be "White Trash Moon" by Kristin Hersh. I think Mina got put in the stupid class. One of her fellows is a eight year girl who has been held back twice. I was one of the few Dads present. (To my pride I was the one with a full set of teeth.)

We need to set a time to go over the whole pledge, holiday, birthday issue with the teacher. Little did I suspect we would have to hit it so soon. Tomorrow (the first full day) is a classmate's birthday and her Mom is bringing in treats! Hmmmmmmm.

No comments: