Saturday, August 23, 2003

Music

We worked on "Trendsetters" last night and had a pretty productive evening down in my basement. I twisted Rebekah's arm until she came down and recorded the chorus. She nailed it and it sounds so good. Not so much the music or anything but her vocal delivery is so on. So the song is about 90% done, just little tweaks here and there and a better mix. I even managed to work in a little nod to Wesley Willis which was fun.

It's cool to be producing music, even the shoddy, dimestore variety we generate. I'd much rather spend an evening working on something original then trying to learn to play the latest modern rock single like I do with our other band, Mostly Minus. Mostly Minus was starting to get interesting for a bit. They had come up with some original material and the plan was to start playing out. Nothing spectacular, just playing at the local pizza parlor or sub shop. Well the guitarist is 18 and lives at home and his dad shut us down. He didn't want his son playing out for whatever reason. So of course we had to support that. We are not about to go encourage out and out rebellion. Well the grapevine rumor is that the guitarist is moving out on his own. And if that happens then we might start playing out again. That at least is something to look forward to even if the music sucks.

As for playing live as 6a2. I'm not ruling it out. It's been a background thought as we have been making the songs. We want them to be natural as possible without them becoming too dependant on the computer. I think we have been successful to some extent. The only thing is my vocals. I have that low-fi fem voice going on Vincent and I reused it again on the new song. As a singer I think I do better with a girl voice than a guy's. Really as long as I get a vocal effects unit of some sort with pitch shift I think it could happen. Tentatively we plan to play out toward the end of the year. I really, really want that to happen.

My sister is coming down briefly Friday night. I really wanted to record her playing drums. There is an old, old song that we did together once upon a time that I want to resurrect. The drum beat would be near impossible to produce with the drum machine. It's too involved and she's too talented. It's just this neat epic song that I miss playing. But she is not going to be around long enough for it to happen. That's dissapointing.

No comments: