Friday, August 08, 2003

Produce

I tried to grow tomato plants this year but my black thumb had another agenda entirely. Not that they're dead but merely stunted. All I have is these little plum sized green tomatoes on plants that are on only one and a half feet tall. So I have been relying on the kindness of others as their tomatoes are coming in. Last night someone brought some huge ones to the Kingdom Hall. I grabbed this super large bulbous one that bore an uncanny resemblence to Joeseph Merrick's (The Elephant Man) head. We brought it home and turned it into salsa and guacomole. YUM.

It seems we are having more and more parts regarding foreign languages on the Service Meeting. In our area the foreign language population is directly tied to the number of Mexican restaraunts that are open at any given time. So apart from the occasional spanish-speaking fajita chef we don't really have to deal with it. It's weird though the different languages you'll run into. I came across this lady who only spoke Macedonian. Folks in the cities might not think this odd; but, here to find someone speaking Macedonian in a rural farming territory seems bizarre.

It looks like Chicago is going to happen this weekened. How weird that I live in Illinois but have never been. When I go to a Throwing Muses show I'm always torn about whether I should watch the shown or tape it for posterity. You can't really enjoy the concert when you are viewing it through the viewfinder of a camcorder.

No comments: