Sunday, January 25, 2004

five

I really like the movie "The Ice Storm". Not the subject matter so much as the look of the film. The perfect recreation of the 70's is rad and the muted colors are beautiful. The ice storm at the end of the film is magnificant.

Well I'm looking out the window at our own ice storm and it is not nearly as impressive. In fact it's pretty mild, just barely coating the car. But we just go the call from our PO and the meeting is canceled. So here I sit still in my shorts instead of a suit.

Last night Rebekah and I worked on our musical opus - "Emily and Jessica". (I've been joking that I want to rename it "Nick Lachey and Jessica".) The song clocks in at a heavy 6 minutes and 20 seconds. For an indie pop song that is probably too much. It sounds like indie pop ("dressy bessy", "all girl summer fun camp") but it tells a long winded story about unrequited love like a folk song

So I've gone to my CD's and looking for long songs and figuring out how to make them seem not as long - keeping the interesting. From I what I can tell the trick is to gradually bring in different vocal parts and introduce new instruments. After listening to our rough track it occured to me that the song really needs a violin and a cello and a piano and a trumpet. So now what?

It's my first time doing a song with live drums. I'm using the drum track Amanda laid down when she was up. I don't know. It's a whole different game than 6a2, that's for sure.

No comments: