Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Junk Shops

Yesterday on my lunch break I dropped in on some antique stores along the river in Alton. I'm kind of obsessed with looking for a combo organ and figured I might get lucky and find one stashed away in one of these shops.

These stores give me the creeps. They are in these old industrial buildings that are falling in on themselves. The buildings have been crudely sectioned off for antique dealers. So it's old run down items inside old run down buildings sold by old run down people.

Some stores are nice and organized whereas others are simply piles upon piles of refuse. Sometimes these piles provide a hedge-maze affect where you turn a corner and are suddenly at loss about how to find the exit. One shop was heavy into the religious memorabilia and I turned round to find myself staring face to face with a chipped wooden statue of St. Christopher and baby Jesus, St. Agnes and child Mary in porcelain, and a bleeding heart oil painting of Jesus nearby. It was kind of eery.

I never did find anything useful as I am into mod-items from the 60's and 70's and these stores tend to not have anything that "new".

--

Rebekah is reading my book right now and discovering error after error that my eyes simply do not see. I read right on through. It's always errors of omission. I tend to leave out words like "the", "a", "of". Almost like ASL or something.

--

Brandon has been giving out CD after CD of 6a2 music. If it were up to me I wouldn't; but I don't terribly mind. One thing is clear everyone seems to like "Trendsetters" the best. I told him when we recorded it that it would be the stupid novelty song that everyone likes. Pee-diddy. Poo-diddy. Har Har. It is my least favorite song. I think I may hate it. The token novelty song never does any band any good unless you are prepared to just do albums comprised of only funny songs, like They Might Be Giants. I am not but I can be a good sport and go along with it occasionally... Maybe I'll even join in. My next song is officially titled, "Poo-poo, wee-wee, smelly fart" ... or not

No comments: