Monday, October 27, 2003

MP3

I downloaded my first album the other day and then another and then another. I'm no stranger to .mp3 downloads. Once upon a time I used Napster and when it went away I switched to alternatives. However, I would just download a few songs and if I liked them well enough I would go out and buy the CD. From what I hear of the RIAA presumably I was the only one who bought a CD based on an illegal download.

MP3's to me do not seem substantial. The album art is so much a part of the music experience that I do not get the same feeling from a CD-R with the band name scrawled on the cover with magic marker. Perhaps this is the reason some people hang on to their vinyl for dear life and turn their noses up at CD's?

But I signed up for this service called eMusic; because they were offering a free 50 song download tryout when you signed up for the service. I really wanted the Mates of State's albums and am out of money so I decided to give it a shot. I burned a CD-R and then used the office color laser to print out some cover art to decorate my otherwise naked CD-R. Still I would rather have the official CD--but it's hard to argue with free.

--

This weekend was dreary but it was the perfect weekend to lounge about on the couch in sweatpants, drinking hot-cocoa, and watching cheesy TV. Nothing much happened of note. We cleaned the downstairs "studio" in preperation for moving some band stuff over to my house. Brandon and I determined that my house was a better setup for practicing and recording. So if the other two (members of Mostly Minus) agree we'll pull everything over to my house--drum kit, PA system, multiple amps, guitars, and many, many cords.

Rebekah and I have been working on a new song called "a(l/t)titude"--another rocker along the lines of ATMOS 206 but more fiesty. It is pretty hot and very fun to play. Brandon will come over today and we'll try to match it with a lead synth. If it works it'll be a new 6a2 song. If not it goes back in the Anthony and Rebekah other band bin.

No comments: